About Volkswagen and EATc

About Audi and EATc

Audi History

Cornerstone

In 1899 August Horch wrote the first chapter in Audi’s history when he established the motor vehicle company known as Horch & Cie.. Ten years later, he founded a second car manufacturing company: Audi Automobilwerke in Zwickau.

  • Reading Time: 1 min

The beginnings

AUDI AG is able to look back on an exciting and varied past – its tradition of car and engine manufacturing extends back into the 19th century. It all began with August Horch, one of Germany's pioneering personalities automobile engineers. After graduating from the Technical Academy in Mittweida, Saxony he worked on engine construction and later as head of the motor vehicle production department of the Carl Benz company in Mannheim. In 1899 he started his own business A.Horch & Cie. in Cologne. Horch moved to Saxony in 1902, first to Reichenbach then in 1904 to Zwickau, where the company was transformed into a joint-stock corporation.

From Horch to Audi

Following differences of opinion with the Board of Management and Supervisory Board, August Horch left the company in 1909 and immediately established a second car company in Zwickau. Because his surname was already in use and was protected by trademark, he chose its Latin translation for the new company. So "horch!" – or "hark" – became "audi!". The idea of using the Latin imperative form came from the son of one of August Horch's business partners; the boy, well-versed in Latin, had overheard the discussion about the search for a new company name. In subsequent correspondence, August Horch even signed his letters with the words "Kind regards – Audi-Horch". Audi Automobilwerke GmbH itself became a joint-stock company in December 1914.

Find out more about the history of Audi

  • Icons.PNG
    1932: Four rings – four brands

    Four interlocking rings symbolised the merger of four automobile manufacturers based in the German state of Saxony: Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer became Auto Union AG. Here are brief details of the roots of today’s AUDI AG.

    Find out more
  • 1945-frame.png
    1945: End and recommencement

    In 1945, after the war had ended, Auto Union AG's premises were located in the zone occupied by the Soviet forces, who expropriated its assets, dismantled the plant and had the company removed from the Commercial Register of the city of Chemnitz in 1948. 1949/1950, the Auto Union GmbH was founded in Ingolstadt newly.

    Find out more
  • 1971.png
    1971: Vorsprung durch Technik

    Focused on the NSU Ro 80, a car that was far ahead of its time, a new advertising slogan was introduced in 1971, which has since become the key message underlining the expertise of the company: “Vorsprung durch Technik” [“Advancement through Technology”].

    Find out more

About Audi

“The AUDI AG stands for sporty vehicles, high build quality and progressive design – for “Vorsprung durch Technik.” The Audi Group is among the world’s leading producers of premium cars. To play an instrumental role in shaping the transformation as we head into a new age of mobility the Company is implementing its strategy step by step.

Read More

About EATc

The Egyptian Automotive & Trading Co. (EATC) has been the sole and official representative for Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, and Audi in Egypt since May 1976, and its automotive business has diversified considerably since.

Built around an uncompromising commitment to delivering products and services that satisfy market demands and customer expectations, EATC has five state-of-the-art facilities to serve their loyal customers in the country, located at Giza, Obour, Abu Rawash, Kattamia, and Alexandria.

EATC is run by a skilled, motivated, and highly trained workforce with an excellent team of 620 staff. In addition, the company sells a wide range of vehicles through a broad network of independent dealers, hence ensuring all customers are in good hands.